Finally made the move!
My old version was no longer supported (read respository servers are gone!)
I needed a bit of house cleaing (read I have files which i have no use for and don’t know if i shld del)
so the move was needed.
I wanted to use LTS (long term support)
but by a twist of fate i ended up with 9.04 amd64 no less (to make use of the 16gb ram that i got)
I must say the upgrade IS an upgrade. the graphics are slicker and more imptly they are faster!
the migration went well. So far I didn’t have to recustomize most of my settings. Just copying the profiles sorted everything.
but have the usual hiccups of having to reinstalling
- sun java 6
- flock-browser (why can’t i just copy it over?? had to get the deb from http://www.getdeb.net/)
- gnome-vim (why doesn’t this ship with ubuntu as default?)
- 64bit flash player (hmm haven’t gotten down to this yet)
But I must say the advantages are
- better support for HP network printers (yeah! no more manual setups with IP addresses)
- Google-chrome works!
- did I mention again that its faster and slicker?
after looking at gOS I might even fiddle to get a Mac look just to be the envy of my less techy frens
so far I haven’t met a prob like nsaunders.. with upgraded packages but will keep a note for his method